Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Our Table

I came across this post by Angie at Bring the Rain. It inspired me to put together some thoughts about our table as it holds just as many memories. I was amazed at how sometimes it is the simplest of things that can have the greatest impact on us. The story is something of great worth that I want to record and pass on.

I remember when I first got the table. Going off to study I was setting up my first flat. Together with my parents we had been gathering bits and pieces of furniture. A friend of Dad's had a table he was wanting to get rid of.. It had been well used, the lines and dents all had a tale to tell. A solid piece with extensions at both ends, the table was certainly quite a find. So I took it to my Pop who always took a look at the projects we presented him. And he lovingly sanded the table back and varnished and polished it back to its former glory. A lasting memory of the love that he shared.

Now it was time for me to write it's story.

It was almost to good to be used by students. But the table held up after many cusine experiments, late night study sessions and card games. It shifted with me as I moved flats. Until when I finished my studies I decided to move to Auckland and I couldn't take it with me. So the table went on it's way with my brother as he started out on his flatting adventures. Just when I thought that the table had ended it's tale with me my brother headed off overseas. It was just as I was getting married and moving into our first home.

It was to be our table.

Whenever we moved we made room for our table, and we have moved so many times I have to keep count to remember. It fitted in the one bedroom unit we shared with our 12 month old when we sold our first house, before we moved closer to family. It even fitted in the 2 and ½ bedroom place we shared with our 3 boys with another on the way.

Seems like it was a part of the family. Our table has entertained many guests. It has held craft projects, late night homework catch ups and had playdough mushed into it and been turned about to find the perfect spot for fort building. We are gathering around more for games nights as the boys grow older. But most importantly it has held many family dinners. Gathered around we share our favourite part of the day amongst passing dishes and toddler tiredness. At the moment that is enough. I read this post at A Holy Experience. For now it is hanging there as a great thing I want to do at our table. One thing at a time.

So I wonder do my boys really know the depth of the story as they sit at this table? Do they know how much love they have as they sit around it? Like Angie said in her post I want to do more but the Lord reminds me 'Your love is enough. And when it isn’t, Mine is'. 

It is starting to show it's age, our table. There are more marks and dings than I can count and the seats are badly in need of repair. I know there is life in her yet. We have so much more story to tell. At a time when sitting around the table together as a family is becoming a thing of the past, I look forward to more love and laughter around our table.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...